A spicy salad to kick summer off! We flash-fried squid in ras el hanout and added chickpeas to make this a filling and satisfying light meal.
- 300g squid tubes
- 2 tsp ras el hanout spice mix
- 1 TB olive oil
- 200g chickpeas (drained weight)
- 1 lime, halved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls soft lettuce
- 1 small red chili, finely chopped
- coriander, chopped to garnish
- Dry the squid tubes well using kitchen paper and use a sharp knife to slice each tube in half, lengthways. Open the pieces and lightly score the inside which will allow the piece to curl when cooking. Scatter over the ras el hanout over all sides of the squid pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and flash-fry the squid. They are cooked when they curl up and turn opaque. At this time, tip in the drained chickpeas and stir well to coat the chickpeas in the seasoned pan.
- Squeeze the juice from both lime halves into the pan and season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Serve the mixture over soft lettuce and drizzle any moisture from the pan over the lettuce.
- Scatter over the sliced red chilies and chopped coriander.