Something delicious and light for our vegan readers! These caramelised mushrooms and spring onions nestle in a bed of red rice and the whole bowl boasts lovely fresh flavours of lime, soy and sesame. Best enjoyed with a garnish of freshly sliced red chili and coriander.
- 90g red Carmague rice
- 1 TB sesame oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 300g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 8 spring onions, sliced into large pieces
- 1 lime, halved
- 2 TB light soy sauce
- 1 small red chili, thinly sliced
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the red Carmague rice until done. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat the sesame oil in a wok and flash-fry the mushrooms until they start to caramelise. Add the garlic paste, ginger paste and spring onions and cook briefly until the spring onions turn bright green and begin to caramelise.
- Deglaze the pan with the juice of both lime halves and add the light soy sauce. Tip the drained rice into the pan and stir well to mix and combine.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls. Drizzle over a little additional sesame oil and scatter over the sliced chili and chopped coriander.