This high protein ‘porridge’ has a surprising crunch from the nuts and offers sweetness from the berries. You could use skimmed milk, but it is equally tasty with almond milk and therefore suitable for vegans. Halve the recipe below if you are cooking for one, and double it up if you are making it for the family.
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp maple syrup, plus extra to drizzle
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 TB dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 TB shelled pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup raspberries
- Place the rinsed quinoa into a pan with 1 ½ cups of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked and all the liquid has evaporated. You may need to add a little more water if it cooks out and the quinoa is still uncooked.
- When done, stir in the vanilla essence, ground cinnamon, maple syrup and half the almond milk. Add the chopped dried cranberries and half the chopped pistachios and combine well.
- Divide between two breakfast bowls and top with the remaining pistachios, blueberries, raspberries and a drizzle of maple syrup on top. Add a dash of the remaining almond milk to each.