A very rich and dense snack – these protein bars are a great option to pop into your bag if you are heading into a dreaded long meeting or if you anticipate you may be skipping a meal on a day out. Low in saturated fat and packed with protein (10g protein per bar!), they offer the lovely flavour combination of peanut and chocolate. We dusted ours with additional cocoa powder for the pic, but that part is entirely up to you!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 150g silken tofu
- 100g peanut butter
- 125 chopped apples
- 2 TB cocoa powder
- 3 TB golden unrefined sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- cocoa powder, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the drained chickpeas, silken tofu, peanut butter and chopped apples into a food processor and blitz until smooth, scraping down the sides of the dish as necessary. Add the cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla essence and continue to blitz until the mixture is as smooth as it can get and all the elements are combined.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl and add fold in the almond flour and baking powder. Combine well and tip into a greased baking dish to come up at least 2cm high.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.
- Slice into 8 bars and wrap each one in foil and grab as needed.