Just because you are closely monitoring your carb intake, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy heavenly things like crumbed cod fillets. These ‘crumbed’ fish fillets are coated in coconut flour, egg and then desiccated coconut, making them a great gluten-free, low-carb option. They can be enjoyed with a side salad of your choice, but we love it with the (chicken less-version of) Crunchy Asian Slaw for a lovely light summer meal.
- salt and white pepper
- 4 cod fillets (approx. 120g each)
- 25g coconut flour
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 lime, to serve
- Season both sides of the cod with salt and white pepper.
- Place the coconut flour in a bowl. Whisk the egg in a second bowl. Spread out the desiccated coconut in a third bowl.
- Dust both sides of the cod pieces in the first bowl of coconut flour. Tap gently to remove excess flour, then dip them into the whisked egg, lifting to allow excess egg to run off. Finally, press the fillets firmly into the desiccated coconut so it’s covered on both sides.
- Cooking the cod fillets in two batches, heat half the olive oil in a large, non-stick pan and grill the fish fillets over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, approximately 4-6 minutes. Repeat the process with the remaining oil and remaining two fillets (you may need to wipe the pan clean between each fry-up.)
- Season the fish with salt if needed and generously squeeze lime over.