1-minute microwave ‘cakes’ have become really popular over the last few years, so we jumped on the bandwagon! This would make an ideal snack for those of you that need something sweet every now and then. We added a tablespoon of wheat bran for extra fibre (available at Holland and Barret and very cost effective) and used only the natural sugars in the mashed banana to keep your macros in check. If you feel this may not be sweet enough, add a little of your favourite artificial sweetener or a drizzle of maple or honey into the mix.
- 35g almond flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 TB wheat bran
- 1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 small over-ripe banana
- pinch of your choice of sweetener (optional)
- 1 medium egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- Combine the almond flour, baking powder, wheat bran and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana to a smooth puree using the back of a fork (over ripe bananas will mash easier), then add the egg and vanilla essence and whisk well to combine.
- Pour the banana-egg mixture into the bowl of almond flour and mix. Pour the batter into a greased ramekin or microwave-friendly mug (no higher than ¾ up) and place in the microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. (Use a cake tester to ensure it has cooked in the centre.)
- Remove from the microwave (carefully, it will be hot!) and allow to cool slightly before eating straight from the dish. Alternatively, you can run a spoon around the edges and tip the muffin-looking mini cake out onto a plate.