We love Athleat’s turkey steak – it’s a whopping 270g – but this dish can also be made using a large, skinless deboned chicken breast. They key is in the delicious caramelised thyme-flavoured mushroom topping, so feel free to add this to any grilled lean protein. If you are a vegetarian, the caramelised mushroom topping is equally amazing on a baked potato or stirred into cooked lentils or quinoa.
- 1 Athleat turkey steak (270g)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 200g white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- several sprigs thyme
- sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Season both sides of the turkey steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a pan and grill the seasoned turkey steak over high heat until caramelised on both sides. The steak will not be sufficiently cooked in the centre, so this is the time to place the turkey on a tray and into the oven for 15-18 minutes to cook through.
- At the same time, on the stove top, use the same pan to heat the second teaspoon olive oil and cook the mushrooms over moderate heat until most of the moisture is lost. Add the garlic and thyme (run your fingers along the sprigs of thyme to remove the thyme leaves) and increase the heat, stirring continuously until the mushrooms start to caramelise. Deglaze the pan with the white wine vinegar and stir the mixture well.
- Serve the turkey steak topped with the caramelised mushrooms and add fresh thyme leaves. Season with sea salt flakes and serve immediately with steamed greens of your choice.