We love these lettuce cups because you can simply wrap them up and eat the delicious filling much like a traditional wrap. The recipe below will yield enough filling for two people, but the amount of lettuce leaves will depend on the size you have to work with. You may want to do 4 mini lettuce cups each, or two large ones each. And… if this all seems like too much effort, enjoy the filling on its own – it’s that good!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 small-medium chicken breasts, skinless and deboned
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ½ red pepper, seeds removed and cut into thin strips
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- small handful parsley (or coriander), finely chopped
- 1 ½ TB dark soy sauce
- 2 TB roasted sesame oil
- 2 TB sweet chili sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 4-8 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and colour the chicken breasts on both sides until golden. Transfer the breasts to an oven tray and place in the oven, allowing them to cook through for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly before using two forks to shred them.
- In the meantime, combine the carrot, red pepper, spring onion and chopped parsley (or coriander) in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, sweet chili sauce and lime juice. Add the shredded chicken and mix well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the lettuce cups and enjoy!