A decadent classic, turned on its head ensuring you are getting high-fibre, low-carb, gluten-free goodness – just in time for winter, where a bowl of “bangers and mash” is just what the doctor ordered!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 x ATHLEAT Gluten-free Chicken Sausages
- 400g cauliflower florets
- 30g fat-free cream cheese
- salt and white pepper
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 star anise
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup rich beef stock
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 TB cold water
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Brush some olive oil on each of the 4 sausages, then place on a greased baking tray. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning the sausages halfway. Set aside to keep warm.
- For the mash, boil the cauliflower florets in salted water until tender. Drain and mash well. Transfer the mashed cauliflower to a mini food processor and blitz until completely smooth. Add the cream cheese, salt and white pepper and mix well to combine. Set aside to keep warm.
- In the meantime, make the onion gravy. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion, star anise, rosemary sprigs and garlic. Cook gently until softened, then increase the heat to caramelise. Pour in the rich beef stock and the cornflour mix and simmer until the gravy thickens. Discard the rosemary and star anise before serving.
- Serve the cooked sausages on a bed of creamy mash and drizzle over the thick onion gravy.