We love these little frittatas! They are fairly quick to make, ideal for those doing keto and very convenient. Make a batch and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. They only need 30 seconds in the microwave to reheat, so two in the morning and you will be good to go. We added a small amount of reduced fat cream cheese to the mix: if you have any of the flavoured ones on hand (like onion and chives), even better! It’s important to caramelise your mushrooms and wilt the spinach beforehand: it adds massive flavour and reduces unnecessary moisture, so don’t skip that step as tempting as it may be.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 170g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 45g baby spinach, stalks removed and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium eggs
- 70g almond milk
- 1 TB reduced-fat cream cheese
- white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the mushrooms until golden and caramelised. Add the finely sliced spinach and allow it to wilt. Lower the heat and cook until all moisture has cooked out. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, almond milk and cream cheese until well combined. Tip the cooked vegetables into the whisked eggs and stir well. Season the mixture with salt and white pepper.
- Grease a muffin tin and use a small ladle (or ¼ size measuring cup) to evenly distribute the mixture into the muffin tin. There will be enough to make 7, and they should be filled 7/8th high. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of one comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly, then run a knife around the edges to pry them out. (If you can brave hot sauce at breakfast time, these are great with a drizzle of Sriracha!)