Running out of chicken salad ideas? We lightly coated our lean chicken breasts in a mild curry powder and grilled them to perfection. The bright, bold flavours of the sweet mango, acidic lime and spicy chili ‘relish’ is an ideal accompaniment. You can serve it over any salad leaves of your choice, but we love the delicate flavour of peas in pea shoots. Don’t forget the toasted almonds, they add a lovely texture.
- 1 TB flaked almonds
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 medium chicken breasts, skinless and deboned
- 3 tsp roasted sesame oil
- 80g diced fresh mango
- 1 small red chili, finely chopped
- 1 lime, halved
- ½ large avocado, sliced
- 2 cups pea shoots
- a few small mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Toast the flaked almonds in a hot, dry pan on the stovetop until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Rub the curry powder onto the chicken breasts and season with salt. Add one teaspoon of the sesame oil into the same pan used for the almonds and colour the chicken breasts on both sides until golden. Transfer the breasts to an oven tray and place in the oven, allowing them to cook through for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly before slicing.
- In the meantime, combine the diced mango, chopped chili and the juice of half a lime juice in a small bowl.
- Assemble the salad by lightly tossing the pea shoots in the remaining sesame oil. Divide between two plates and add the sliced avocado and sliced chicken. Top with the mango/chili mix and garnish with a scattering of the toasted almonds and some small mint leaves.
- A squeeze of the remaining lime juice and salt will finish the salad perfectly.