The earthy-flavoured beet goes really well in a salad such as this Beetroot and Quinoa Salad with Dill, which features so many exciting flavours. A great salad to enjoy in Veganuary! If you aren’t keen on giving up meat, add some diced, cooked chicken.
- 90g uncooked mixed seed quinoa
- 40g hazelnuts, halved
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 TB lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large handfuls mixed salad leaves
- small handful fresh dill, chopped
- ½ apple (55g), cored and diced small, squeeze lemon juice over to avoid oxidisation
- 200g baby beetroot (cooked), quartered
- Bring 300ml water to the boil and add the mixed seeds quinoa, cooking over a moderate heat until all the water has evaporated and the quinoa has cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Roast the halved hazelnuts in a hot, dry pan until toasted. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, make the dressing. Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl or ramekin. Season the dressing with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large bowl, drizzle this dressing over the salad leaves. Add the dill and add the cooked (cooled) quinoa. Toss well to evenly coat everything.
- Divide the dressed leaves / quinoa mixture between two serving bowls.
- Over each bowl, scatter over the diced apples and beetroot chunks. Drizzle over any remaining dressing.
- Garnish with the roasted hazelnuts and season the salad with salt, if needed.